We receive information that:
- you provide when you register for and set up an account
- you post or content you share on Makulo
- you allow us to collect when you use certain Makulo features
- you allow social media services to share with us
- we get from seeing how you use Makulo
- we get from communicating with you
- we get from cookies and other technology
We use this information to:
- provide Makulo features and services to you
- manage and improve the Makulo website, app and services
- analyze how you use Makulo
- provide you with information
- diagnose technical problems and maintain security
- provide you with marketing that is relevant to you
We share this information with:
- other Makulo users where you allow information to be public
- social media services you tell us to share information with
- people who help us provide Makulo to you
- business partners, which may include advertising partners
- businesses that are legally part of the same group of companies that Makulo is part of, or that become part of the same group
- outside parties to comply with the law and legal obligations
We store information:
- primarily in the United States & Germany, but may also use other locations around the world
Effective date: Feb 15, 2013.
Welcome to Makulo ("Makulo," "we," "us" or "our"). Makulo provides a fast, beautiful and fun way for you to share media through our content-sharing platform.
- Our Policy applies to all visitors, users, and others who access the Service ("Users").
1. Information we collect
We collect the following types of information.
Information you provide us directly:
- Your username, password and e-mail address when you register for an Makulo account.
- Profile information that you provide for your user profile (e.g., first and last name, picture, phone number). This information allows us to help you or others be "found" on Makulo.
- User Content (e.g., photos, comments, and other materials) that you post to the Service.
- Communications between you and Makulo. For example, we may send you Service-related emails (e.g., account verification, changes/updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices). Note that you may not opt out of Service-related e-mails.
Finding your friends on Makulo:
- If you choose, you can use our "Find friends" feature to locate other people with Makulo accounts either through (i) your contacts list, (ii) third-party social media sites or (iii) through a search of names and usernames on Makulo.
- If you choose to find your friends through (i) your device's contacts list, then Makulo will access your contacts list to determine whether or not someone associated with your contact is using Makulo.
- If you choose to find your friends (iii) through a search of names or usernames on Makulo then simply type a name to search and we will perform a search on our Service.
- Note about "Invite Friends" feature: If you choose to invite someone to the Service through our "Invite friends" feature, you may select a person directly from the contacts list on your device and send a text or email from your personal account. You understand and agree that you are responsible for any charges that apply to communications sent from your device, and because this invitation is coming directly from your personal account, Makulo does not have access to or control this communication.
- We use third-party analytics tools to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Service. These tools collect information sent by your device or our Service, including the web pages you visit, add-ons, and other information that assists us in improving the Service. We collect and use this analytics information with analytics information from other Users so that it cannot reasonably be used to identify any particular individual User.
Cookies and similar technologies:
- More information is available in our about Cookies section.
Log file information:
- Log file information is automatically reported by your browser each time you make a request to access (i.e., visit) a web page or app. It can also be provided when the content of the webpage or app is downloaded to your browser or device.
- When you use our Service, our servers automatically record certain log file information, including your web request, Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser type, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on the Service, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information. We may also collect similar information from emails sent to our Users which then help us track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients. The information allows for more accurate reporting and improvement of the Service.
- When you use a mobile device like a tablet or phone to access our Service, we may access, collect, monitor, store on your device, and/or remotely store one or more "device identifiers." Device identifiers are small data files or similar data structures stored on or associated with your mobile device, which uniquely identify your mobile device. A device identifier may be data stored in connection with the device hardware, data stored in connection with the device's operating system or other software, or data sent to the device by Makulo.
- A device identifier may deliver information to us or to a third party partner about how you browse and use the Service and may help us or others provide reports or personalized content and ads. Some features of the Service may not function properly if use or availability of device identifiers is impaired or disabled.
- Metadata is usually technical data that is associated with User Content. For example, Metadata can describe how, when and by whom a piece of User Content was collected and how that content is formatted.
- Users can add or may have Metadata added to their User Content including a hashtag (e.g., to mark keywords when you post a photo), geotag (e.g., to mark your location to a photo), comments or other data. This makes your User Content more searchable by others and more interactive. If you geotag your photo or tag your photo using other's APIs then, your latitude and longitude will be stored with the photo and searchable (e.g., through a location or map feature) if your photo is made public by you in accordance with your privacy settings.
2. How we use your information
- help you efficiently access your information after you sign in
- remember information so you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Service;
- provide personalized content and information to you and others, which could include online ads or other forms of marketing
- provide, improve, test, and monitor the effectiveness of our Service
- develop and test new products and features
- monitor metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, and demographic patterns
- diagnose or fix technology problems
- automatically update the Makulo application on your device Makulo or other Users may run contests, special offers or other events or activities ("Events") on the Service. If you do not want to participate in an Event, do not use the particular Metadata (i.e. hashtag or geotag) associated with that Event.
3. Sharing of your information
We will not rent or sell your information to third parties outside Makulo (or the group of companies of which Makulo is a part) without your consent, except as noted in this Policy.
Parties with whom we may share your information:
- We may share your information as well as information from tools like cookies, log files, and device identifiers and location data (such as usage data, referring/exit pages and URLs, platform types, number of clicks, etc.), with organizations that help us provide the Service to you ("Service Providers"). Our Service Providers will be given access to your information as is reasonably necessary to provide the Service under reasonable confidentiality terms.
- We may also share certain information such as cookie data with third-party advertising partners. This information would allow third-party ad networks to, among other things, deliver targeted advertisements that they believe will be of most interest to you.
- We may remove parts of data that can identify you and share anonymized data with other parties. We may also combine your information with other information in a way that it is no longer associated with you and share that aggregated information.
Parties with whom you may choose to share your User Content:
- Any information or content that you voluntarily disclose for posting to the Service, such as User Content, becomes available to the public, as controlled by any applicable privacy settings that you set. To change your privacy settings on the Service, please change your profile setting. Once you have shared User Content or made it public, that User Content may be re-shared by others.
- Subject to your profile and privacy settings, any User Content that you make public is searchable by other Users and subject to use under our Makulo API.
- If you remove information that you posted to the Service, copies may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Service, or if other Users or third parties using the Makulo API have copied or saved that information.
What happens in the event of a change of control:
Instances where we may be required to share your information:
Makulo will disclose your information where required to do so by law or by judicial process or if we reasonably believe that such action is necessary to:
- comply with the law and the reasonable requests of law enforcement
- protect the security or integrity of our Service
- exercise or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Makulo, our Users or others
4. How we store your information
Storage and Processing:
- Your information collected through the Service may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Makulo, a company in the same group of companies as Makulo or Service Providers maintain facilities.
- Makulo may transfer information that we collect about you, including personal information across borders and from your country or jurisdiction to other countries or jurisdictions around the world. If you are located in the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that we may transfer information, including personal information, to a country and jurisdiction that does not have the same data protection laws as your jurisdiction.
- We use commercially reasonable safeguards to help keep the information collected through the Service secure and take reasonable steps (such as requesting a unique password) to verify your identity before granting you access to your account. However, Makulo cannot ensure the security of any information you transmit to Makulo or guarantee that information on the Service may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed.
- Please do your part to help us. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information, and for controlling access to emails between you and Makulo, at all times. Your privacy settings may also be affected by changes the social media services you connect to Makulo make to their services. We are not responsible for the functionality, privacy, or security measures of any other organization.
5. Your choices about your information
Your account information and profile/privacy settings:
- Update your account at any time by logging in and changing your profile settings.
- Unsubscribe from email communications from us by clicking on the "unsubscribe link" provided in such communications. As noted above, you may not opt out of Service-related communications (e.g., account verification, purchase and billing confirmations and reminders, changes/updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices).
- If you have any questions about reviewing or modifying your account information, please contact us directly at [email protected]
How long we keep your User Content:
- Following termination or deactivation of your account, Makulo may retain information (including your profile information) and User Content for a commercially reasonable time for backup, archival, and/or audit purposes.
- If you have any questions about termination or deactivation of your account, please contact us directly at [email protected]
6. Children's Privacy
Makulo does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for the Service. The Service and its content are not directed at children under the age of 13. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at [email protected]
7. Other web sites and services
8. How to contact us about a deceased user
In the event of the death of an Makulo User, please send us an email to the following email address supportlmakulo.com We will usually conduct our communication via email; should we require any other information, we will contact you at the email address you have provided in your request.
9. How to contact us
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files containing a string of characters that can be placed on your computer or mobile device that uniquely identifies your browser or device. We may use technologies like cookies, pixels and local storage to deliver, secure, and understand products, services, and ads.
What are cookies used for?
Cookies and other technologies allow a site or services to know if your computer or device has visited it before. These technologies can then be used to deliver products, services, and ads, help us understand how the site or service is being used, help you navigate between pages efficiently, help remember your preferences, and generally improve your experience in using our services. Cookies can also help ensure marketing you see online is more relevant to you and your interests.
How long will cookies stay on my device?
The length of time a cookie will stay on your computer or mobile device depends on whether it is a "persistent" or "session" cookie. Session cookies will only stay on your device until you stop browsing. Persistent cookies stay on your computer or mobile device until they expire or are deleted.
First and third party cookies
First-party cookies are cookies that belong to Makulo, third-party cookies are cookies that another party places on your device through our Service. Third-party cookies may be placed on your device by someone providing a service for Makulo, for example to help us understand how our service is being used. Third-party cookies may also be placed on your device by our business partners so that they can use them to advertise products and services to you elsewhere on the Internet.
How to control cookies
Follow the instructions provided by your website or mobile browser (usually located within the "Help", "Tools" or "Edit" facility) to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you set your browser to disable cookies or other technologies, you may not be able to access certain parts of our Service and other parts of our Service may not work properly.